Yesterday I met someone who was planning a long motorcycle trip. Here’s a Shout Out to ThatCarGirl! Hey Lynn! I steered her to my webpage but then realized I have plenty of videos offering tips on things to pack but I don’t have an easy to follow list as a guide. It seems now is the perfect time to do that since I am gearing up for my Texas Perimeter Ride 2014 this Sping and need to get my own list together. Later, be on the lookout for a video on how to pack your clothes efficiently in your bag and how to strap the bag on the bike but for now, here is the Packing for a Ten Day Trip list. This list is made with the assumption you will be staying in a hotel, not camping. FYI – I’ll be making additions to this list as I begin to pack for my trip.
Packing for a Ten Day Trip
- _____ 2 pair of jeans – you can take more but they take up a lot of room when packing. If you wear your chaps they stay clean longer. Plus you can wash along the way
- _____ Long Johns if you have them – panty hose work just fine and they pack easy. This is incase you have cold weather
- _____ 3 pair of socks – I take Smart Wool socks and wear several days each
- _____ 2 long sleeved under shirts – Quick dry so I can wash each night – see Quick Dry video
- _____ 5-7 over shirts – I’m going to be wearing my vest so it really doesn’t matter as long as I have something clean. If you’re not wearing a vest you may want a few more.
- _____ Under clothes – enough for each day or less if you wash each night
- _____ 1 pair sweat pants/top – or shorts –comfortable clothes to go to lobby or if I feel like walking/running or for after shower clothes
- _____ Walking shoes and/or flip flops – something comfortable other than boots
- _____ Bathing suit
- _____ Pajamas
- _____ 5-6 bandanas – buffs – see Buff video
- _____ 8-10 ponytail holders – see Pony Tail Holders video – I wear one or two and keep two or three around my wrists and the rest I keep on my keychain for emergencies. See Pony Tail Holders video
- _____ Leather Jacket
- _____ Lightweight Jacket – cloth or jean
- _____ Vest – optional
- _____ 2 pair Gloves – in case I lose one
- _____ Chaps – see Wrapping the Chaps video on how to fold
- _____ Rain gear – I have a well fitted Marmot rain jacket that provides great coverage and also fits well under my coat and/or vest for extra warmth when needed. I find that the Harley rain jacket is cumbersome and takes up too much space. I pack the HD rain pants to wear with it. I bought a pair of lightweight rain pants once and they melted on my pipes so if you want to get a rain pant other than HD, make sure they are heat proof.
- _____ After all this is packed I usually throw in something non-biker to wear if we decide to go somewhere nice for dinner or something, but that ‘s just me.
- _____ Hat